23 October 2010

I'm back

Only two and a half months between blog posts, not horrible. I've definitely gone years before. But let's get down to business.

My current life, consisting of two jobs, one class, a wedding to plan, and grad school applications, may seem like chaos but I am slowly harnessing it. I've started working on my applications which for a while were gnawing at me. I thought my avoidance of them meant that I was scared to to go to seminary or that I lacked the confidence to move forward with my plans. I have decided that those assumptions are incorrect. Yes, going to grad school is a big step but I've taken this year "off" to thoroughly explore my options. And I am doing a good job of that so I shouldn't be fearful. All of the schools I am applying to are awesome and I would be happy to get a great education at any one of them.

The wedding plans are also coming along nicely. We've secured our venue and put some effort into an informative webpage. Yes, I worry that it will be a peculiarly cold or undeterminably hot April 16th, but I am praying about it. I do not worry about my partnership ahead with my husband-to-be. I am secure in knowing that our union is and will continue to be strong.

The jobs, one paid and one not, are alright. My unpaid internship lets me work in a great field with wonderful people, all while in a cubicle. I'm not a fan of the latter. But I am grateful to be exposed to new things and people along this part of my journey and know that it will help me in the long run. Job two, busting my butt at a restaurant for minimum wage, is wearing on me. I am leaving that job in the near future to return to the happy and lucrative world of childcare, inshallah.

My class on urban ministry fascinates me. We discuss real issues about where "evil" comes from and how it exists in our cities today and what can we as religious leaders do to address it. My fellow students come from a variety of backgrounds, theologically and socially. I am the only Unitarian in the class which makes things especially interesting when we talk about the nature of God and Christ. My faith strays from the prescribed Christian views. My idea of God is vast, unknowable, and ever-expanding. It became interesting that at the end of class this week I came out with my beliefs. While it is incredibly intimidating telling a group of Christians that while Jesus rocks, he's not my savior, I am happy I stepped forward a bit. I think it was good for my personal/spiritual development to be true to myself out loud in mixed company. Bottom line is that I plan on doing it again and making my voice known.

That's all that's fit to print this morning. Enjoy the weekend. I promise it won't be another ten weeks without another post.

Grace